All commercial aerial work is regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and our insurance is only valid when we comply with their regulations and guidance. A summary of the key points that we have to adhere to are:
- We maintain an operations manual for our flight operations
- We cannot fly directly over people, roads or buildings that are not under control of the crew.
- We need the landowners pemission for take off and landing
- There are flight restrictions around airports
- We can only fly 400 feet above the operator and no more than 500 metres from the operator.
- We need a line of sight with the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) at all times
- Each job requires a site assessment and risk assessment
The legislation that covers our work is:
Civil Aviation Publication (CAP) 393 – Air Navigation and of key relevance are Articles 166 and 167 which cover Small Unmanned Aircraft (UAS) and Small Unmanned Surveilance Aircraft (SUSA).